Friday, October 1, 2010

Fall is here and Time to post

With fall I think of fall cleaning, planting tulips,and all the fall colors of yellow, orange and some green mixed in.
Lately I notice that I feel a need to use the seasonal colors around the house.
 Spring I liked pink and yellow,
this summer I liked red especially and put all my red dishes out in the open cupboards and around the kitchen.
 Now I want to use the warmer fall colors.  I think I like my new way of thinking. I did not start
on purpose, it just took me over.  Thats what you get for being retired and around the house more.

 October was my mothers birthday.  Twenty three years after her passing  I can now just think of
her fondly with celebrating her birthday to myself and being too sad to want to think about her.
. October is my favorite holiday of holloween.
 I like it because we are on a busy street and get about 300 little holloweeners.  I look at all the costumes and usually dress in my full clown suit and my husband has a scary suit.  We take turns standing on the
porch and passing out candy.  Surprisingly, more kids are afraid of clowns than the scary mask and
trench coat.  The worst was the 17 yrs old girl who I thought was kidding at first until I walked around
her. 
I knew my youngest grandchild may be born on holloween.  What fun.  I threw holloween parties for the
kids when they were young.  Guess what.  Sammy is a holloween baby.  Im sure he will get tired of that theene  sometime. Holly make the best of your theme while you can!!!
I hada fall wedding oct 24th.  This finishes that time of the great color tour area we live in.  The maples
and bushes in the fields and shrobs all showing their great beautiful colors.
Today is the day,  Oct 1st and the start this wonderful month.   I like the seasons for different reasons but
I think May for the start of real spring and summer around here and October are my favorite months.

Following is a black and white cake for our anniversary\

Black and White Cake
3 cups all purpose unbleached flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup chocolate syrup

For the glaze:
1 and 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
3 tblsp warm water
1 tsp vanilla..............................Bundt pan works well for this

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In another large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until blended using a hand mixer. Add the eggs to the butter mixture, one by one, mixing after each addition.

Add the vanilla to the cup of milk and stir. Slowly, add both the flour mixture and milk mixture to butter mixture, mixing them in alternately in small batches. Thoroughly mix the ingredients together, but take care not to over-mix.
Pour 2/3 of the batter into a greased and floured bundt cake pan. Spread evenly.

Add the baking soda to the chocolate syrup and stir to mix. Then, add the chocolate mixture to the remaining batter by hand. Mix thoroughly until the color is even and chocolate is well-distributed. Pour the chocolate batter on top of the white batter (as shown in the pictures). Spread evenly. Do not stir.

Bake the cake at 350 for 65 – 70 minutes taking care to check on it after about on hour depending on the heat of your oven. When it’s done, the cake should come away from the side of the pan just a tiny bit and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. The cake, however, will still appear quite moist.

Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before transferring the cake to a wire rack.

slnce the cake is cool, mix the confectioners sugar, warm water, and vanilla in a pouring measuring cup until there are no lumps. A whisk is helpful in this regard.
This is from another blog who had an anniversary this fall
This great blog is hungry bruno  watch for it with my favorite blogs

No comments: