Sunday, March 28, 2010

Breakfast Casserole

I thought Palm Sunday is a great day for the breakfast casserole
My daughter Marcy has one version and my aunt Carole has a larger
version for serving. I like to add my own ingredients as I would
for an omelet.

Marcy this is your choice....
3 cups cubed bread
3 cups diced ham or bacon cooked
3 cups shredded cheese
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tbsp melted butter
6 eggs
1 tbsp flour

Grease a 7 x 10 pan. Layer ingredients in order given. Beat 6 eggs,
add 1 tbsp of flour. Add 2 tbsp melted butter.
Add 3 cups milk. Pour over bread, meat and cheese. Refrigerate overnight.
The next morning bake uncovered.
325 for 1 hour.

My\ Aunt Carole's choice
she calls it Breakfast Quiche
12 slices bread
12 eggs, 4 cups milk
Carole 2 lbs ground mild sausage for the meat.
2 tsp salt and 2 tsp dry mustard.(I did add this)
For the cheese she cuts the cheese to 21/2cups cheddar.
9 x13 pan is used bake at 350 1 hour
Add green pepers and onions if desired or in place of the sausage.

As you see, you can really play with the recipe. I added just a
crisscross of maple syrup on top.
I love green and red peppers so I add them also. I had a ham slice
so I used that for the meat and sprinkled in some bacon bits.
I dont think you can go wrong on the recipe.

Thank you Marcy and Carole
Great for a left over sunday evening meal also.

No comments: