Monday, August 24, 2009

Borneo Banana Jam







My Mother had this recipe. She loved jams and relishes. She
was fearless with her quest for a new recipe.

Borneo Banana Jam
6 bananas, 1/2 c lime juice , 1 1/2 cups water.
grated rinds of 3 limes
2 cups of sugar.
Chop bananas. Add other ingredients. Boil until bananas
turn pink. Watch and stir. It will burn easily.
(I dont know whether she used pectin?.)
PS my mother never quite wrote the whole recipe down. Just what
she thought see wouldn't remember.



I am going to try this. I did find a canning recipe kind of
like this.
Following is the other recipe.2 ½ lb of peeled bananas.2 ½ lb of sugar.8 ounces of pineapple juice.Juice of 2 lemons.
Directions:
Place half (1 ¼ lb) of the peeled bananas in a large saucepan and mash with a potato masher.Slice up the other half of bananas, and add them to the pan.Stir in the juice of the lemons and the 8 oz of pineapple juice.Add the sugar and heat on a low setting until the sugar has dissolved.Bring to the boil for about 3 minutes; then allow to cool.Pour into a jam jar or other suitable container.Cover and seal.

My new quest to follow my mothers path, brings back many early
childhood memories.


I gave canning jars my recipe. check with my blog list and view her blog.

No comments: