Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I remember my mother making Piccalilli
I can not find her recipe but I did find one like it.
With the cold weather this year, my tomatoes are not getting large and
ripe. I am going to try the following recipe.
22 medium green tomatoes, quartered
1 pt small onions. DO this to your own taste. I am going to use 1 white
and 2 red onions. sliced thin.
6 green peppers, quartered
6 sweet red peppers quartered ( I am going to mix mild peppers and reds
1 qt 5% acid strength vinegar
1 pt 5% acid strength vinegar
31/2 c sugar
1/4 c pickling salt, 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice, 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tsp celery seeds, 1/2 c mustard seeds

Put tomatoes, onions and peppers through food chopper, using medium blade.
I want this chunky. Do like you would like.
Drain. Place vegetables in large kettle, add 1 qt vinegar. Boil 30 min.
Stir frequently. Drain and discard liquid.
Return vegetables to kettle and add remaining 1 pt vinegar, sugar, salt,
allspice, cinnamon, celery seeds and mustards seeds. Simmer 3 minutes.
Immediately ladle into 6 hot sterilized pint jars. Fill to within 1/2 inch
from top. Adjust lids. Wipe clean on outside.
Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes. Start counting the
processing time when water in canner returns to boiling.
Remove jars. Cool on wire rack 12 to 24 hours. Check jars

This came from an 1983 canning book. Processing time may be suggested
longer now. I am checking some new recipes.
Winnie I'm thinking of you.

No comments: