Sunday, August 16, 2009

old picture

I found this old picture in our back shed. My husbands grandfather
possibly took this. This looks earlier than most of his pictures.
When looking at the picture closely, you can see some bikes laying on the
sidewalk and some little boys. Also on the right of the first block is a horse corral. I was told there was a person who held horses across from where the
insurance company is now. The building closest to the lady in white was a
bazzar in 1900 address book and a pizza place now.
Men were standing around talking in picture. Next to the bazzar is said to be a saloon. It does not look very large though..There was a small saloon for men
only until 1980's called Hansons the same last name owner about two blocks down. In 1900 the address matches this block.
The owner in 1980 also Hanson's, did not say no women allowed but everyone
knew it was the working men only.
Too bad, like much towns, the great old buildings have been torn down or
totally redone.
I took this info from a 1900 town book with businesses listed.

I am taking the picture to the local museum and see what they know.
I have many pictures from 1915 on but not before.
You can tell I am interested in the history of our family and city. My father
was born in 1907 and 44 when I was born. He worked uptown in stores
from eighth grade on. The women only spoke swedish in those days. His
mother spoke mostly swedish and didn't read english. That is where I have
some 1918 peace march pictures among other great old pictures. I will post
a couple great pictures as I go along.
ps I am stalling to say I have vowed to start using at least two meals and
a new spice grouping from my cookbooks . Also from shows.
I have a collection with food network stars plus a few other known people.
I will let you know how they turn out.
(I really should do something besides look at the books)
talk soon.

No comments: